Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing 43: Online TV and Video

When I've missed an episode of a TV show I like, I will take time to track it down and watch it online. Watching online, I find that I don't pay as close attention as I do when it's on the box in the living room. I'm distracted by checking email or looking at FB updates. The quality is not as great, but that's not what I'm after. Mostly, I want to make sure I'm up-to-date on the story line. I do like that you can watch a missed episode in less time than on regular TV (though I can speed up time with our TIVO as well).

I've had fun exploring shows on Hulu and looking at new movie trailers at Apple.

Right now having access to free TV content hasn't changed my viewing habits much. I still like to be comfy on the couch when watching TV (though I know we could get a server for the TV and set that up, etc. etc.) and sometimes I like to watch Gray's Anatomy at the same time everyone else is so that friends and I can call during the commercials. Will free access change things? Sure, we've already seen that with the writers strike and their demands for payment when things go online. How to license creative content and pay everyone fairly is a hot topic! No longer is the guilty warning on the bottom of sheet music not to "reproduce because it negatively impacts the livelihood of the artist" enough.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

With the economy going down, I'm looking to drop our satelite service and look at hooking up the computer to the TV. We like the DVR, and with sites like Hulu, we think we might be able to duplicate it and watch on the TV. It's either that or attach a 25 foot antenna to the roof! Stucco houses do not play well with digital TV!