Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing 10: Wikis

Where to start . . . a review of how wiki's have changed how we look at, access and compile information? How Wikipedia created? engineered? the former and then responded to concerns of validity by adding footnotes and links to resources? Or to talk about my frustration in trying to create wiki's. Perhaps the last as the others have been covered over and over by people who are both smarter and better writers than I.

After reading Will Richardson's book Blogs, Wikis and Podcasts . . last summer, I created a wiki to use with an advanced art class. It looked good. I was excited about it. The teacher was excited about it and as these things go, we never used it. Not wanting to loose my wik-ability (Wait, now I sound like merino wool!), I tried making another one for my upcoming college reunion. I tried two different sites, some horrible site the name I can't remember and wetpaint. Wetpaint was easier to use and had pretty colors, so the planning group is playing with it right now. Come October, we'll see if it was a useful planning (and recruiting tool) for a reunion.

With my other job, not to be confused with my other other job or yet that different other job I have, the institution has been doing lots with Web 2.0 tools. One of my colleagues as well as boss was recently recognized for her work with promoting and integrating Web 2.0 tools, namely Placeography. This house history wiki has been a phenomenal sharing site for users. Two weeks ago I was at a lovely garden party and mentioned this site to Ryan K. who is hosting a walking tour of his neighborhood. Not only did he know about Placeography, but had also been interviewed on a local TV show about his well regarded contribution. So while the Internet brings information together, it is the garden parties in the central neighborhood of Minneapolis where people truly connect!

One thing that I have noticed about wiki's . . it takes people to keep them going and it there's no interest or it's too difficult to contribute, then they grow stagnant. Case in point, Minnewiki. The idea behind the site is great, but what's the point of a Minnesota music wiki if no one can contribute? The site is doesn't allow for users to add material. Without the ability to contribute or even keep things up-to-date, the Current's self chosen name is more than ironic!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sara,
I encourage you to share some of these thoughts, or just link to them on the 23 Things Wiki!
I think there are probably others with the same outlook.